Consumer-Delegated Model of Services
TRPIL promotes the Consumer-Delegated Model for personal assistance services and is there to help with things get complicated. TRPIL Community Services developed the Consumer Delegate Model to provide an agency-based model with Consumer choices maximized.
- The consumer delegates employer responsibility to TRPIL Community Services as the employer.
- TRPIL Community Services handles all aspects of payroll processing and workers’ compensation claims.
- Program is licensed by the Department of Health.
- Direct Care Workers (DCWs) are subject to the provisions of Employment Wage and Hour Rules.
- DCWs are only permitted to work up to 40 hours per week.
- TRPIL Community Services will provide assistance in locating additional DCWs for consumers whose service hours exceed 40 hours per week.
- The consumer has the ability to interview and select the DCW(s) to be hired.
- TRPIL Community Services provides the DCW training required by the Department of Health.
- DCWs are required to have a two-step TB test and criminal history check conducted prior to placement in a consumer’s home.
- TRPIL Community Services will contact consumers and DCWs when there are issues or errors on DCW time sheets.
- The PAS Specialist will assist in conflict resolution and problem-solving with emphasis on Independent Living philosophy and consumer control.
- The consumer chooses who comes in and what the DCW does at work. A consumer can set their own work schedules for their DCWs.
- Consumers will not have to rely on our organization to set a schedule. Within the rules of the PA Department of Health and other state regulations, consumers have decision-making abilities and responsibilities.
In 2012, the Department of Public Welfare instituted changes to the Consumer Employer Model that no longer provides the traditional support needed by many consumers to enable them to be real employers if they significantly lack the skill for managing the employer-employee relationship. Therefore, TRPIL Community Services developed the Consumer Delegate Model to provide an agency-based model with consumer choices maximized.
A consumer can set their own work schedules for their attendants. The Consumer Delegated Model means that they will not have to rely on our organization to set a schedule for their attendant. Within the rules of the PA Department of Health and other state regulations, consumers have decision-making abilities and responsibilities.
Now that’s Independent Living!
See also Hiring a Direct Care Worker FAQs.