Training and orientation are provided to each new slate of Board members after they are elected. This commitment (of several hours) is a day devoted to learning what it means to serve. It is organized by the CEO and her Administrative Assistant based on the availability of the new board members involved.
Topics covered are varied and useful in understanding the needs of the organization, as well as the protocol to follow in successful Board actions. The material covered typically includes (but is not limited to):
- Descriptions of responsibilities for Officers.
- Meeting guidelines, including Robert’s Rules of Order.
- The Board’s role in the community.
- How to manage conflicts of interest.
- History of TRPIL and the Independent Living philosophy.
After the training, and as Board members acclimate to their service, most people find that our unique culture as an organization affords them the opportunity to deeply interact on a personal level with our membership and our staff.