TRPIL Community Services Training for Direct Care Workers (DCWs)
Our workforce of Direct Care Workers support individuals with disabilities to live independently in the community.
Direct care work is not just a job -- it is a rewarding career path.
Eating a delicious sandwich
DCW Training Program
Our training is supported by TRPIL's purpose and values: that people with disabilities have the right to determine how to live independently in their community.The Direct Care Worker Training Center focuses on the core competencies needed for quality and consumer-directed care:
- Methods of lifting.
- Basic universal precautions.
- Hands-on and body mechanics.
- Assistance with medication.
- Nutrition and meal preparation.
- Work ethic and professionalism.
- Conflict management and communication methods.
- Issues on abuse and neglect.
- Specialized skills for specific disabilities.
- Supporting consumer direction and choice through the independent living philosophy.
- An introduction to diversity and cultural competence training.
Watch our training video .
DCW Job Requirements
- You must be 18 or older to work as a Direct Care Worker.
- Must possess basic math, reading, and writing skills.
- Prior experience is helpful but not necessary.
- Most positions require Act 33 Child Abuse Clearances and Criminal History Clearances.
- Some positions require ability to travel and a valid driver’s license.
The number of hours a DCW can work with a consumer is determined by guidelines established through the Office of Long-Term Living (OLTL) and Department of Health. Referrals for in-home care are made through the Area Agency on Aging and funded by Medicaid.
Currently, TRPIL serves 600-625 consumers, with 558 DCWs on the payroll.
TRPIL DCW Training Center
TRPIL's direct care worker Training Center is located at:
31 East Chestnut Street, Suite 202
Washington, PA 15301
(enter at rear entrance to second floor, at top of parking lot)
Check out the Direct Care Worker Training Calendar for the days and times of our training sessions.
Email the Attendant Training Department.