Transitional Paths to Independent Living: Homepage > TRPIL Community Support Services > Nursing Home Transition > 5 Rights of PA Nursing Home Residents
5 Rights of PA Nursing Home ResidentsIf you find yourself in a nursing home, you need to realize that you do not lose all of your rights. We here at TRPIL offer some reminders to hopefully help you get back to your own home in a timely fashion:
- You have the right to see your medical records any time. It is important to know what medications you're taking and what conditions they are trying to treat. Ask questions when you don't understand something.
- You have the right to see your physicians outside of the facility. Transportation should be provided. Start by talking to a social worker once an appointment has been made.
- You have the right to participate in citizenship activities (such as voting).
- You have the right to a safe and orderly discharge from the facility. You can absolutely request a discharge planning meeting if one is not formally scheduled.
- You have the right to file a complaint through the Ombudsman Program at any time without retaliation. A contact number for this program must be posted prominently in the in common areas of any facility.
- Email Nursing Home Transition.