TRPIL is the local outreach partner of the statewide program known as Technology for Our Whole Lives, (TechOWL). As a partner, TRPIL’s ATRC serves Bedford, Blair, Cambria, Fayette, Greene, Somerset and Washington counties. Other PA county residents can check TechOWL’s List of all the resource centers that serve their county. TechOWL is the Commonwealth’s Assistive Technology Act Program and is funded through state and federal grants.
Assistive Technology (AT) is any device that allows persons with disabilities to live, work, and play more independently and effectively. TechOWL seeks to increase the availability and utilization of assistive technology devices and services for all Pennsylvanians with disabilities. Most services are provided at no cost to people with disabilities, their family members and advocates. Our AT services include:
Public Awareness & Device Demonstrations
TRPIL can provide information and assistance relating to AT. We can help you find service providers, select devices that may help, and acquire Assistive Technology of your own. We can come to your organization to explain more about Assistive Technology programs and resources, as well as participate in conferences and expos to increase awareness of Assistive Technology. Additionally, we have materials in our on-site Lending Library to provide hands-on opportunities for you to explore Assistive Technology in order to help you decide if certain devices are right for you.
Training & Technical Assistance
TRPIL offers training on AT to service providers in other fields so they can in turn better assist people with disabilities. TRPIL also provides technical assistance to public and private agencies to develop and improve policies related to access to AT devices. Examples include assisting schools working with students about to transition from school to work or human service organizations planning for someone’s discharge from a nursing home to the community.
Assistive Technology Lending Library
The Lending Library allows you try a device for free for a limited time (typically 4-6 weeks) to find out if that device can help you before you buy it! If needed, you can try out many different devices. You can also use the Lending Library to get a ‘loaner’ device while your own is being repaired. Visit the PA Assistive Technology Lending Library
Don’t let red tape stop you from getting the AT you need. TRPIL can help you get through the process. We also know some resources that may help!
- Pennsylvania Assistive Technology Foundation PATF is a non-profit organization that provides low- and no-interest loans to qualifying individuals so that they can buy the devices they need.
- Pennsylvania’s Telecommunication Device Distribution Program (TDDP) provides FREE ADAPTED telephone equipment to eligible people with disabilities or older adults who can’t use a phone independently. TDDP
- Recycled and Exchanged Equipment Partnership (REEP) the Recycled and Exchanged Equipment Partnership (REEP) is a classified listing of used devices to be sold or donated. The listing is updated quarterly, and is available at: REEP
- If you or someone you know has been determined to be both legally blind and deaf, there is a program that will provide not just equipment, but services and training to use it at no cost to the consumer. Look here to learn more about iCanConnect
- Hospital beds
- Wheelchairs (power and manual)
- Shower chairs
- Portable ramps
- Portable ramps
- Video magnifiers
- Hoyer lifts
- Transfer chairs\Door openers
- Communication devices
For More Information
Call TRPIL at (724) 223-5115
Ask for the Assistive Technology Specialist at extension 1371 or Email the Assistive Technology Department
Or reach TechOWL directly via:
Institute on Disabilities
1755 N. 13th Street
Student Center, Room 411S
Philadelphia, PA 19122